This position shall include the following responsibilities:
1. Student Senate Attendance. Must attend all meetings of the Senate.
2. Student Government Committee Attendance. Must attend all Internal Affairs Committee meetings.
3. Parliamentarian. Serve as Senate Parliamentarian and must bring a copy of the latest version of Roberts Rules of Order: Newly Revised, the Student Body Constitution and the Bylaws of Student Government to each Senate meeting. The documents must be made available to any voting
members for use during a Senate meeting. As parliamentarian, he or she must provide advice for the ruling of the presiding officer, when requested.
4. Property and Room Set-Up. Maintain the properties of Student Government, including its gavels, name placards, or other material, and bring them to Senate meetings. The judicial sergeant shall also be responsible for ensuring that rooms for Senate meetings are in proper arrangement and shall ensure that they are left clean and in good shape after meetings end.
5. Timekeeper and Guard. Shall keep time of all Senate reports, debate and total length. The judicial sergeant, or appointed designee, shall also guard the door during executive sessions of the Senate and shall be responsible for escorting individuals to and from the Senate chamber when deemed necessary by the Senate.
6. Judicial Committee. Shall convene the Judicial Committee, for reasons and situations described in these Bylaws.
7. Grade Grievance Assistant. The judicial sergeant shall be available to assist any member of the student body in the grade grievance and student judicial process. The judicial sergeant must be trained by and take the role of student advocate with the University Ombudsman’s Office and Student Judicial Services.
8. Training. This officer shall be responsible for conducting the training course of Student
Government, where not otherwise described in these rules.
a. This officer, along with the Internal Affairs Committee, shall also be responsible for training new members of Student Government.
Name: Email Address: Local Address:
Phone Number: E #: Major: Year in School:
Credits Completed (as of 04/12): DOB:
In your application, please be sure to include all of the following:
o Application Form
o Past and Present Involvement responses
o Essay response
o One Recommendation Letter from a EMU Faculty Member
Please attach letter in a sealed envelope.
Application deadline: August 15th, 2012
Please return completed applications to the Student Government office in the Student Center in room 342 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
What is your proposed Summer/Fall Schedule? This position will require a minimum of 2 hours per week with stipend received at the end of each semester.
You must be available on Tuesday evenings for the Fall and Winter semesters.
Past & Present Involvement
Involvements in EMU Student Organizations, Residence Halls, Student Government, Greek
Involvement on Campus and/or in Community:
Leadership Positions held or Events Coordinated:
Other Related Experiences:
If needed, feel free to use a separate sheet of paper for any of the above questions. Please label accordingly.
How do you plan on enforcing the rules of the Senate while also teaching senators about proper parliamentary procedure? Additionally, how will you expand and enhance the role of Judicial Sergeant?
Please limit your typed response to a maximum of 300 words.